Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: places books have made me want to visit (fictional or real)

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Every week they post a new topic that the participants come up with a top ten list for.

Sorry for the lack of posts last week! I was sick and just didn't feel up to it. But I'm back this week! I want to post at least one review and I have a giveaway scheduled for later tonight :)

On to the TTT. This week's topic is places books have made me want to visit, whether they're real or not. What an awesome topic!!



Prague: Daughter of Smoke and Bone - Laini Taylor / Book of Blood and Shadows - Robin Wasserman
I read DoS&B before I went to Prague and it definitely influenced the way I looked at the city! It's such a beautiful, mysterious place. All the alchemy, the magic, but also the blood and violence. It was also cool to visit the place where Kafka used to live and write.



New York City: The Mortal Instruments - Cassandra Clare
I'd never really longed to go to NYC that much before I read those books. But then, I wanted to walk around Brooklyn and ride on the subway and maybe get a glimpse of that world behind the world. That didn't end up happening when I finally went, but it was great anyway :)



Venice: Venom - Fiona Paul / City of Masks - Mary Hoffmann
Renaissance Venice or Florence would be so great to visit! I've been to Florence and it was beautiful but haven't made it to Venice yet. And either way, it's different now. To be at a masquerade or drive in a gondola through the city after midnight with my beau - that would've been something! (What? I can romanticize stuff too, every once in a while)



The Hollows / Cincinnati: world of Kim Harrsion's Hollows series
This was my gateway to Urban Fantasy and still one of my favorite worlds ever. I'd love to take a trip across the river to the Hollows and have pizza at Piscary's. Maybe get a glimpse of Rachel, Ivy, Kisten, and Jenks.


Alternative world of The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
Seriously, a world where everyone goes nuts about books? Dodos as pets? To be able to read yourself into a book? Yes, please.


The Night Circus, by Erin Morgenstern
I'd love to go there for a night. Where a read scarf. Walk the tents. See the wonders.



New Orleans: The Vampire Chronicles - Anne Rice / Darkness Becomes Her - Kelly Keaton / Drawing Blood - Poppy Z. Brite
Okay, my conception of New Orleans has been heavily influenced by vampire and horror novels. But I'm telling you, when I actually sat in Café du Monde last June, knowing that some of my favorite characters had had their coffee there, it felt great. This city is a blend of so many different influences and I loved it. I also think Kelly Keaton's re-invention of it as New 2 in her series is amazing.



Seattle: Richelle Mead's Succubus series
I didn't make it to Seattle during my trip across the US last summer but I definitely want to go there in the future. I loved the way Mead described the city and its bookstores and coffee shops in the series. Also, grunge music. Can't forget that.



Japan: all the manga I've ever read, plus books by Federica de Cesco, and Lian Hearn's Across the Nightingale Floor series
I've been wanting to go to Japan since I was about 11. Haven't made it yet, but hopefully in the next 1-2 years. I want to see Tokyo and Kyoto but I'd also like to travel cross-country and see more rural areas.

Hogwarts
Duh. I actually didn't come up with this one, my sister did. But obviously I want to go there. When I was 9 or 10 and first reading the books, knowing that I never would was akin to a physical pain.

I'm sure I could have come up with many more places, but sometimes it's hard to tell what was first: the book, or the wish to go there. For example with Paris and London, the way I see those cities is completely tangled up with books I read that are set there, both before and after I went.
Do we have any places in common? And link me to your own post! I want to find more places to go to :)

7 comments:

  1. Yes, yes, yes regarding Prague - I went to Prague years ago, but reading Daughter of Smoke and Bone transported me straight back there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh nice picks! I really wanna see Prague as well, and I haven't even read those books yet! It's just something magical (it was in Jonathan Stroud's books so maybe a bit because of that).
    Same goes for NY and New Orleans! Both sound amazing, especially in books. Venice is great, I went there about 4 times, never gets old :D
    And of course Hogwarts :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prague made my list... and pretty much everybody else's, it seems!

    ReplyDelete
  4. New Orleans and Hogwarts, definitely! I almost put The Eyre Affair on my list. I'd love to get to meet some of my favorite book characters. Thanks for stopping by my Top 10 earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who doesn't want to visit Hogwarts!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never really was that keen on visiting NYC either, until I read about it again and again (including the TMI series) After that, I really wanted to see the legendary city for myself. And since then, whenever I read a book set in NYC, I get all excited xD Prague is most certainly on my travel bucket list, ESPECIALLY after reading DoS&B though ♥ And of course HOGWARTS would have made the top of my list ;-D Glad you sister reminded you to include it haha! Sweet list hun xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh Venom is a good one! I should have included that! And of course Hogwarts! That would be amazing! Great list.

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete