Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Waiting on Wednesday: The Dark Between, by Sonia Gensler

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill at Breaking The Spine to spotlight upcoming book releases that we're excited for.



My pick this week:
Add it on Goodreads
Release date: August 27, 2013
Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers
Format: Hardcover, 352 pages

Goodreads description:
 A supernatural romance about the powers that lie in the shadows of the mind, perfect for fans of Sarah Rees Brennan, Alyxandra Harvey, and Libba Bray.

At the turn of the twentieth century, Spiritualism and séances are all the rage—even in the scholarly town of Cambridge, England. While mediums dupe the grief-stricken, a group of local fringe scientists seeks to bridge the gap to the spirit world by investigating the dark corners of the human mind.

Each running from a shadowed past, Kate, Asher, and Elsie take refuge within the walls of Summerfield College. But their peace is soon shattered by the discovery of a dead body nearby. Is this the work of a flesh-and-blood villain, or is something otherworldly at play? This unlikely trio must illuminate what the scientists have not, and open a window to secrets taken to the grave—or risk joining the spirit world themselves.

I think it's awesome that quite a few books set in this period and around séances etc. seem to be coming out now! I love the early twentieth century. And the plot sounds really interesting too, the connection between science and mysticism. Plus, Sarah Rees Brennan and Libba Bray? Count me in ;)

What do you guys think of my pick? And what did you feature this week?

5 comments:

  1. Oh my this sounds GREAT! I'm a big fan of the time period and though it sounds a little creepy I think my 'scardy cat-ness' could handle it >.< Excellent pick, thanks for spotlighting it ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have to put this on my list asap! thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks super creepy! I don't know if I can handle it! AH!!! I'm running away scared already!

    Check out my WOW.

    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very... different. I hope you enjoy when it comes out =) My WoW

    ReplyDelete