Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Waiting on Wednesday: The Winner's Curse, by Marie Rutkoski

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill at Breaking The Spine to spotlight upcoming book releases that we're excited about.


This week's pick:

Release date: March 4, 2014
Publisher: Farrar, Strous and Giroux
Format: Hardcover, 368 pages

Goodreads description
In the tradition of Kristin Cashore and Cassandra Clare comes this brilliant, unputdownable, star-crossed romance about the curse of winning.

Seventeen-year-old Kestrel is an aristocratic citizen of Valoria, a vast empire that revels in war and enslaves those it conquers. Here, a girl like Kestrel has two choices: join the military or get married. Despite her skills in military strategy, Kestrel’s real passion is music.Which is why she feels compelled to buy Arin, a slave with a talent for singing, at auction. It’s not long before she finds herself falling in love with Arin, and he seems to feel the same for her. But Kestrel quickly learns that the price she paid for Arin is much higher than she ever could have imagined.

Set in a new world, The Winner’s Curse is a story of wicked rumors, dirty secrets, and games where everything is at stake, and the gamble is whether you will keep your head or lose your heart.


Okay, not going to lie, what first drew my attention was the cover. GORGEOUS. One of my favorites of the year so far! Furthermore, I read Rutkoski's The Shadow Society last October and it was amazing! (review) The world sounds intriguing and I like the conflict of music/art/love vs. the military/duty/power that I see forming here.
What do you think of my pick, and what are you waiting for this Wednesday?

10 comments:

  1. I've been seeing this book around a lot lately and it looks good :)

    Janina
    My WW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds really good! Love the cover too ☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this cover. I have seen this book around and I have it on my to read list too :) I hope you'll get it soon :)

    Tanja @ Ja Ĩitam, a ti?

    ReplyDelete
  4. great minds think alike! this is my pick this week too. i'm seriously in love with the cover! :D

    hope you can stop by my WoW.

    -michelle @ Michelle & Leslie's Book Picks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so excited about this book too! It has such a gorgeous cover and such an interesting premise!
    Great pick! :)

    Nick - My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually just picked up an ARC of this book at the book festival I was at! Marie signed it and everything! I'm so excited to read it! The cover is gorgeous and I loved the synopsis!

    My WOW

    Jessica@Lovin' Los Libros

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, totally gorgeous cover. And the story does sound good, too. I'm not sooo 100% sure yet, but I feel myself getting there. ^^
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've got this one scheduled for an upcoming WoW, too. I cannot freaking wait. Doesn't that synopsis sound amazing?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I couldn't agree with you more: GORGEOUS cover!! Wow ♥ this is the first I've seen of it but I am loving it! It sounds pretty amazing to though, and I really do want to check out this author (Shadow Society included!) so thanks for spotlighting this one and bringing it to my attention Carmen ^^

    PS- sorry for being so late to stop by, I seem to be working too many jobs at the moment and it's been cutting into my reading & blogging time :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PPS- I adore the new header ♥ hauntingly beautiful and it works great with your existing design! It could probably make a great button too, you know, eventually :)

      Delete