Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Teaser Tuesday: Poison Eaters and Dark Magic


Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

• Grab your current read
• Open to a random page
• Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
• BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
• Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

Today I'm teasing you with two books. City of Dark Magic is an eARC I am currently reading and will be published by Penguin on November 27. The Poison Eaters is a short story collection by Holly Black, illustrated by her husband Theo Black.

This conversation takes place in the castle complex in Prague, between our protagonist Sarah and her new boss. They are discussing the history of the Lebkowicz family Sarah will be working for.

"What was Prince Max doing before he got his family stuff back?" Miles looked around as if the room might be bugged and leaned in close. "Officially, he was in banking. Really, he was the drummer in some sort of rock band in Los Angeles," whispered Miles. "But no one knows that and I didn't tell you."
[City of Dark Magic eARC, position 615 of 4563]

I don't know more about the Prince yet but I'm curious...
I'm loving the Prague scenery in this one. So many places I've been!




Matilda imagined Lydia and Julian dancing at the endless Eternal Ball. She pictured them on the streets she'd seen in pictures uploaded to Facebook and Flickr, trying to trade a bowl full of blood for their own deaths.
[The Coldest Girl in Coldtown, page 15]


I love this story. I already knew it from another anthology and re-reading just made me remember how awesome it was and long all the more for the full-length novel that will be coming... sometime... next year I think?
Holly Black's writing is just so gripping and courageous. I read her novel Tithe about 7 or so years ago, when I was 16, and it will stick with me forever. I got it at the library and read it twice before returning it. Since then I've read it about twice more.

Aaaanyhow, what do you guys think of my teasers? And what did you choose to tease the rest of us with this Tuesday? Link me up in the comments :)

3 comments:

  1. Awesome teasers...I have both of these books on my TBR. I love stories set in Prague...never been myself but I kind of feel like I have after all the books I've read that are set there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great teasers, I have the City of Dark Magic on my kindle, patiently waiting for me to read it.
    Here's my TT
    Ashley
    #BookNerd

    ReplyDelete