Saturday, August 24, 2013

Stacking the Shelves: demons for free

Stacking the Shelves is a weekly meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews to showcase all the books we got in the past week. Those can be bought, won, gifted, for review, borrowed, print or ebooks... no matter, just share what you got :)


This week was slow... I only got these two ebooks. Both amazon freebies. I got Jordyn because I'd heard about it,  the synopsis was interesting (demon hunters. I'm always up for that.) and I remembered some good reviews. Kojiki because the Japanese aspect called to me.

Jordyn, by Tiffany King
Hand to hand combat training: Check
Cardio and strength training: Check
Daemon hunting: Check
Anomaly: Check

Check, check, check, check...That's all my life is. There's nothing ordinary about me. I'm "special." I know this because I'm reminded of it every stinking day. I can kick a Daemon's ass with both hands tied behind my back. I can run up a mountain without breaking a sweat. Know what I can't do? Get guys to notice me, or hang out with friends like normal people do. I can't just be ordinary because I have an Arch Angel for a mentor who is always breathing down my neck, and a family of angelic Guides and Protectors who scrutinize every little thing I do. Just for a day I want a life where I'm no longer some anomaly, where I don't have to feel like a lab rat.

And then I met Emrys. Okay, so my mentor and family hate him, but probably for good reason. After-all, he is a Soul Trader, and they aren't the most trust worthy beings. But, he is sooo hot with his green eyes, leather jacket and the sexiest tattoo you've ever seen running down his back. And-he doesn't treat me like a project.

I've got myself in quite a little quandary here. Choosing between my responsibilities and the Trader that holds my heart is something I didn't sign up for. Torn between two different worlds, I must now decide who to trust and who to walk away from. What's a girl to do? See what I mean? I am an anomaly. I am Jordyn.




Kojiki, by Keith Yatsuhashi
When eighteen-year-old Keiko Yamada’s father dies unexpectedly, he leaves behind a one way ticket to Japan, an unintelligible death poem about powerful Japanese spirits and their gigantic, beast-like Guardians, and the cryptic words: “Go to Japan in my place. Find the Gate. My camera will show you the way.”

Alone and afraid, Keiko travels to Tokyo, determined to fulfill her father’s dying wish. There, beneath glittering neon signs, her father’s death poem comes to life. Ancient spirits spring from the shadows. Chaos envelops the city, and as Keiko flees its burning streets, her guide, the beautiful Yui Akiko, makes a stunning confession--that she, Yui, is one of a handful of spirits left behind to defend the world against the most powerful among them: a once noble spirit now insane. Keiko must decide if she will honor her father’s heritage and take her rightful place among the gods.



Have you read one of the books? What did you think? Also, please link me up to your own book haul post :)

9 comments:

  1. Not heard of either of these but I hope you enjoy them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read either of these, but both sound very interesting and intriguing in different ways! Great finds, Carla :)

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
  3. These two look interesting. Jordyn sounds good. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it.

    Grace
    Books of Love
    http://gracebooksoflove.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've not heard of any of this titles, but they both look interesting :) Great haul!

    Janina
    My Haul!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have Kojiki waiting on my Kindle. It sounds good. Enjoy!

    My STS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Didn't Tiffany King write another book? Anyways, Jordyn looks really good.
    Enjoy all your lovely books Carmen! (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't heard about any of these books but I hope you love reading them.

    Have a fab Monday! :D

    Thoughts and Pens Stacking the Shelves

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you enjoy Kojiki. It is one I have on my TBR as well. Happy Reading!
    Here are my newest additions.

    ReplyDelete