Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: 2014 Debuts I'm Excited For

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Every week they post a new topic that the participants come up with a top ten list for.

This week is about the 2014 by new authors that we're excited for

Hm... while trying to come up with titles for this list I realized that most of the books on my not-out-yet shelf are sequels or other books by established authors and that I'm lacking in the debut department. So I definitely have to check out some of you guys' lists to stock up on new names ;)
Not all of my picks have covers yet - just thought I'd mention that so that you don't think I forgot to include them.


Cruel Beauty, by Rosamund Hodge
This is a retelling that mixes Beauty and the Beast with Greek mythology. I've already read it and it's amazing!!!

Half Bad, by Sally Green
I love characters stuck inbetween two states/groups of people. So of course I want this one.

The Murder Complex, by Lindsay Cummings
I've followed this author on twitter for about 2 years and it's really cool that her book is coming out now! The world (murder rate = higher than birth rate) sounds futuristic and noir, and there's assassins. What's not to like? From a reading POV only, obviously.


Alienated, by Melissa Landers
Alien Exchange student? Not heard that one yet. Also, I've read a couple early reviews and they were positive.

Of Breakable Things, by A. Lynden Rolland
I discovered this one looking for books to include, and the world sounds really interesting! Also, the mention of banshees insures that I want to read it ;)

Stolen Songbird, by Danielle L. Jensen
I usually stay away from anything mentioning the word 'prophesy', but I'm intrigued by the fact that there are trolls here (never read anything that really focused on them) and by the whole political aspect.


Camelot Burning, by Kathryn Rose
Camelot lore blended with some steampunk and a female apprentice of Merlin's? Yes please. Though... why does Morgan always have to be the evil one? *sigh* Still, this one sounds like it has awesome world building and is a new take on the whole Camelot thing.

Crown of Ice, by Vicky L. Weavil
Alright, this sound amazing! It's inspired by Andersen's The Snow Queen and it features a heroine that also sounds a bit like a villain - willing to do whatever it takes, no matter the cost. The interactions between her and the male MC she kidnaps to help her should be very interesting. I really hope this one delivers.

All That Glows, by Ryan Graudin
Fairies and  a whole magic London underworld - I'm in. And  I have an ARC, so yay ^^

Snow Like Ashes, by Sara Raasch
The description for this one is still really short/vague but I'm keeping an eye out because of that title.

This weeks was really unusual insofar that it was hard to come up with 10 titles, when usually the difficult thing is limiting myself!
What 2014 debuts did you pick, and what do you think of mine?

9 comments:

  1. I'm really looking forward to reading Cruel Beauty and Alienated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had problem narrowing it down to ten :D Cruel Beauty, The Murder Complex and Stolen Songbird are on my list too. Half Bad sounds really good. Oooh, Camelot Burning looks great too, I haven't heard about it before! Thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! I have HALF BAD on mine as well, and I'm super excited to read THE MURDER COMPLEX. Oh, and STOLEN SONGBIRD!!

    Here's my Top Ten.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooohh Cruel Beauty sounds really good! I love Beauty and the Beast and this sounds like it would be a great retelling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaaah Camelot Burning sounds so good! I've never read anything related to Camelot/Merlin/King Arthur but I've seen tons of films and series and I really like the story.
    Can wait for that one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! I'm so excited for so many of these and a few made my list too. I read and loved Alienated, I can't wait to get my hands on the finished hardback! There seems to be so many good books coming out in 2014, I'm not sure where I'll find the time to read them all. I hope you get to all of your picks :) My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list!!And I've never seen Camelot Burning before but it sounds amazing!I'm a big fan of Camelot and Merlin so I really can't wait to get my hands on it!Thank you so much for stopping by my post!

    Elena @ Book Lady's Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list, Carmen! Alienated is on mine as well this week. And I have added several others that are on yours.

    I hope you're doing well! Happy reading :)

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope that All That Glows is as good as it sounds...I was really excited for it, but then I read a very negative review and I'm worried now. :( So glad you enjoyed Cruel Beauty, too. Such a phenomenal retelling!

    ReplyDelete