Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Waiting on Wednesday: Half Bad, by Sally Green

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill at Breaking The Spine to spotlight upcoming book releases that we're excited about.

This week's pick:
Release date: March 4, 2014
Publisher: Viking Juvenile
Format: Hardcover, 416 pages

Goodreads description:
In modern-day England, witches live alongside humans: White witches, who are good; Black witches, who are evil; and fifteen-year-old Nathan, who is both. Nathan’s father is the world’s most powerful and cruel Black witch, and his mother is dead. He is hunted from all sides. Trapped in a cage, beaten and handcuffed, Nathan must escape before his sixteenth birthday, at which point he will receive three gifts from his father and come into his own as a witch—or else he will die. But how can Nathan find his father when his every action is tracked, when there is no one safe to trust—not even family, not even the girl he loves?

In the tradition of Patrick Ness and Markus Zusak, Half Bad is a gripping tale of alienation and the indomitable will to survive, a story that will grab hold of you and not let go until the very last page.

What attracts me to this one is mostly the idea of being trapped between two extremes with nowhere to go. What are those gifts Nathan is to receive from his father? How does this society work? Also, I haven't read many books about witches that had male protagonists.
I know this one has been around quite a bit, but what are your thoughts? And what did you pick this week? 
Also, I'm currently giving away 3 swag packs, many items signed! Check the left sidebar ;) Open internationally.

10 comments:

  1. Great pick, can't wait to read this one! Looking forward to reading about witches and excited that we get a male main character as a witch for a change. I've had this on pre-order for what feels like forever, only a few more weeks to wait now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm dying to read this one. It sounds deliciously dark.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so can't wait to read it, I know it's been hyped up, and I've read a lot of witches ones last year that I was disappointed in, but I really think this one with bring something new to the table. Great pick! :)

    Here's mine

    Kirsty @ StudioReads

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I just heard about this last night! I wanna read it super bad. Hope you can stop by mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seen this one around quite a bit lately - love that cover and the synopsis has got me hooked! Great choice :).

    My WoW

    Keely @ Realms of an Open Mind

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just added this to my own TBR list the other day. I love a good witch story and the comparison to Patrick Ness and Marcus Zusak sealed the deal for me. ~Megan

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY! This was my WoW too! Great taste ;)
    check out my WoW *even though we picked the same one*
    http://bookhangoversbb.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a very unusual take on witches. I like it!! I've never heard of it before, but it's definitely going in my Amazon wish list, as well as my Goodreads TBR shelves. Thanks for featuring this book!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think I've ever read a book about witches from the male perspective so I'm instantly curious about this one!! His ''trapped between two extremes'' situation also strikes me as quite unusual...I'm curious how the MC will resolve his two polarities! Thanks for featuring this one Carmen :)

    ReplyDelete