Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Waiting on Wednesday: Otherbound, by Corinne Duyvis

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill at Breaking The Spine to spotlight upcoming book releases that we're excited about.


This week's pick:
Release date: June 17, 2014
Publisher: Amulet Books
Format: Hardcover, 400 pages

Goodreads description:
Everyone has a theory about what’s wrong with Nolan. He has hallucinations. He has seizures. He has an overactive imagination. Or is what Nolan sees whenever he closes his eyes impossibly, fantastically real?

Nolan longs for a life uninterrupted. Every single time he blinks, he’s transported into the mind of Amara, a girl in another world. As a mute servant who’s tasked with protecting a renegade princess, Amara lives a life of magic and danger and pain; she’s completely unaware that Nolan can see through her eyes.

Until he becomes more than an observer. Until he learns to control her—and the two of them communicate for the first time. Amara is terrified. Then furious. She’s already spent a lifetime as property and punching bag. The last thing she needs is another force controlling her.

All Amara and Nolan want is to be free of each other. But Nolan’s breakthrough has dangerous consequences. Now, they’ll have to work together to survive . . . and discover the truth about their connection.

This book seems to combine a number of elements I find interesting: the imagination/hallucinations, possibly unreliable narrators, mind-sharing, fantasy, parallel worlds, a lower-class girl who has her wits about her, a connection that could develop into a complex friendship. Yup, count me in!

7 comments:

  1. Wow. That sounds really cool! Thanks for sharing--one new book on my growing shelf! XD

    Here's my Wednesday post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Count me in, too. I only found out about it a few weeks ago, definitely a me-type book. :) Hope it's just as good as it sounds, though the ones I've read from Amulet have been, so high hopes. Great pick. :)

    Here's mine

    Kirsty @ StudioReads

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I haven't heard about this one before! It sounds really great, with seizures/ hallucinations and parallel words! I'm really hoping for unreliable narrator :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh oh! I love how the two MC's are connected to one an other in such a way that only one of them can see into the life of the other. That's a really fresh dynamic and I'm already curious as to what happens once he lets her know he could see her life!! I really want to know the truth behind their connection :D Thanks for bringing this one to my attention Carmen, wonderful pick ^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is 2nd place I see this book today, and it sounds really awesome! Have to check it out myself. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ummmmm.....never heard of this book. I like that there are two MC's instead of one. Makes for a much more interesting book.

    Grace
    Books of Love
    http://gracebooksoflove.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been seeing this book everywhere lately...and the more I see of it, the more I think I need to read it. It just sounds REALLY different, ya know? And unreliable narrators are the BEST. :)

    ReplyDelete