Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Worlds I would NEVER want to live in

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Every week they post a new topic that the participants come up with a top ten list for.


Hey guys :) This week's top ten is about book world's we'd NEVER want to live in, no matter how much we liked the actual story. Or about character's whose shoes we'd never want to walk in. I'll give you 5 of each.


World's I prefer watching from the outside

Fever series - Karen Marie Moning
After the walls come down and the dark fey enter the world, most humans die. No power, little food, lots of baddies... I'd be toast.

Blood of Eden - Julie Kagawa
Either donate blood to your local vampire or live on scraps and be backstabbed or killed by rabids? Again, I'm not the most physically fit person. I wouldn't make it for too long. And it's a very bleak and hungry kind of life.


Wither - Lauren DeStefano
To be kidnapped on the street and sold to some old rich dude to bear his babies, then die at 18? Can't imagine anything much more horrible. Pregnant over and over, then death *shudders*

Any totalitarian regime that restricts knowledge and burns books
Book burning is one of the worst things ever, and one that makes me the angriest. Destruction of knowledge, of beauty... no. Think Fahrenheit 451. Definitely not a society I'd want to live in.


Coldtown - Holly Black
I'm actually divided on this one. Living in a Coldtown is very dangerous. You can never get out. Law is barely existent.You need connections, and you need your wits. Vampire slaying skills are advisable. And yet... I do feel the allure of the place. The never-ending parties. Immortal creatures. Desire. Passion. I admit, I feel torn. In the end I wouldn't make it though.



Characters I wouldn't want to trade places with


Cassel from the Curse Worker series by Holly Black
If you can't even trust your brothers or you mom, life is bleak. Loving the daughter of the biggest crime lord around, also not good. Having an ability everyone wants to use to strengthen their own position? Yeah, better make sure they never find out...
Seriously, ma heart ached for Cassel :(


Karou - Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor
The things that girl is forced to do... and her position is even worse at the end of that book than it was at the beginning!


Juliet - Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
Slandered, beaten, bullied, put away into asylums and detention centers, isolated, forced into electroshock therapy... there's pretty much nothing that girl hasn't been subjected to. And her touch kills. Everyone. Apart from maybe the son of her worst enemy, who used to hold her prisoner.
Yeah, being Juliet truly sucks, despite her incredible powers.


Kaylee - Soul Screamers series by Rachel Vincent
That girl never gets a moment of peace. Some hellion always wants her soul, or her loved one's souls, or is possessing innocent strangers... her love life isn't a piece of cake either. Though I sure wouldn't mind spending some time with Tod ;)

Matthew Swift - Urban Magic series by Kate Griffin
That dude. Always in over his head! Made Midnight Mayor against his will. Always some crazy sorcerer or fey queen or other strange personified part of the city to deal with. Not to mention the annoyingness and not quite trustworthiness of his own Aldermen. Let's not even talk about the women in his life. The guy doesn't stand a chance. I feel this strange affection for him though. Can't resist the scruffy reluctant hero type with awesome magic, I suppose.


This was actually harder than I thought! What do you think of my picks, and what/who made your list?

10 comments:

  1. All those worlds sound equally terrible and terrifying. I would NEVER want to live in a world where we all die at 18. What is the point of that?!?! And Juliet from Shatter Me sounds like a not fun person to be AT ALL. I'm thinking about reading that series soon. It sounds good :)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. The world in the Fever series was definitely pretty nuts--would definitely not want to live there! Great list :)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Coldest Girl in Coldtown, The Immortal Rules, and Wither all made my list too, though I see what you mean about being torn about Coldtown. I definitely do see the allure. And I kind of loved Linden in the Chemical Garden series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really great list. I found some new series here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karou has such a hard life and I know I would not have been able to deal with most of the stuff she does.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list. I feel the same way about the Coldest Girl in Coldtown.
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'd be conflicted about Coldest Girl, too...I see the allure, as well, and I think I might just have to go vampire myself. =) Ah, and poor Cassel...I really loved his story overall, though. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know...I'm almost tempted to disagree with you on the Fever world, because living in a world with Barrons almost makes me forget all the hell those Fey caused. >.< I certainly wouldn't want to live in Coldtown and definitely not trade paces with poor Karou. Although I do want to hug the poor dear, I love her so much haha Still need to read Blood of Eden, Wither, White Cat, Shatter Me and Soul Screamers though! Awesome list :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are good choices, I've heard of most of them and I own a few but I have not read them. I also agree with some of your choices knowing the worlds they live in and how the characters are. I'm so glad I found your blog. New follower.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree. None of those worlds are at all appealing - even though they're great books. Interesting how that works right? :P

    ReplyDelete