Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Things on my reading wishlist

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Every week they post a new topic that the participants come up with a top ten list for.

Today is about things on our reading wishlist, meaning things we'd like authors to write about (not books we wish we owned). Books that aren't written, at least as far as we know.
To be honest this is really hard. I used to have a lot of these wishes/ideas when I was younger, but I think I've grown a bit jaded over time. I haven't thought about this in a long time, I usually just think "oh wow, what a cool idea!" when I see a book that sounds awesome to me, but I rarely actively think about what I'd like to see. Let's give this a try though.


More diversity
This is a very general wish. I'd love to see more stories with characters from non-white backgrounds as main characters (rather than sidekicks). Same goes for characters with a disability or illness, LGBT characters... you get the idea. I know these books are there but they're a tiny minority compared to the bulk of literature being written and published.

Something steampunky and magical with libraries
Yup. I want gaslight and rolling ladders on the shelves and books books books. Maybe a scientist. Zeppelins. Secret passageways. Late Victorian London and its underworld. Adventure. A dash of romance. Obviously, there are already a lot of books there but I feel like I'm looking for a very specific vibe, and so far I haven't quite found it.

Something written from the POV of the villain
If there is a villain-POV book out there that you've enjoyed - please send me a link to info about it! Villains are so compelling. And I want to read from the POV of one who is unrepentantly evil. Maybe also a tad snarky.
I might just have to write the person myself.

A fantasy set in the 'old' Japan
I know there is Stormdancer but I've read such mixed reviews about the way the author represented the culture, I don't know what to think and whether I should read it. Basically I want Japanese customs, architecture, rice paper walls, secrets, samurai, ninjas, and an awesome girl character. I want part accurate historical depiction, but also fantasy elements and magic. Something a bit like Across the Nightingale Floor, but with a different focus.

Something set in a Carnival or Circus
You know, kind of like the HBO series Carnivale meets Erin Morgenstern's The Night Circus. I'm not sure what I'd like to happen, it's the setting that intrigues me. Maybe in the 1890s, with some spiritualism thrown in. If you know of something like that - link me up, please!

Urban Fantasy set in Zurich
I know, I know. But seriously, there are UFs set all over the US and some in the UK, but not all that much that I know of set in central Europe (I know a few set in Prague). I'd loooove to see my own city in a new, magical way!

Written from the POV of Death
I know there already are books like that out there, for instance The Book Thief, but somehow they aren't quite what I'm looking for, at least those I've read. In The Book Thief, it's more about what happens to Liesl and the Third Reich than Death as a character/entity/perspective. I'd love unique writing and rich lore. I guess I'm looking for a specific tone in the writing that I can't quite describe.

A really great vampire novel
I know, vague and there are tons and tons of vampire books out there. But I want something new. I want to be swept away as I first was by The Vampire Lestat, or by Poppy Z. Brite's Lost Souls. I don't want romanticized sparkly vampires or gloom-and-doom tortured souls. I want a vampire who revels in being what he or she is. Something decadent. Something kind of like Holly Black's Coldest Girl in Coldtown.

A Modern Retelling of The Picture of Dorian Gray
Has this been done? If so, link please! I love Wilde's story and I'd be very curious about a modern take on it. And very open to how it's done.


This is only 8 things but I think I'll leave it at that. What do you think of my ideas? Any books that could match what I'm looking for? And what's on your wishlist?

18 comments:

  1. I really love your list! In particular..
    - something written from the POV of the villain...I love well written villains and having a POV from someone unrepentantly evil and a bit snarky sound perfect!
    - a modern retelling of The Picture of Dorian Gray...sounds very intriguing I would love to see this!
    - a vampire novel that brings me back to the way I felt while reading The Vampire Lestat would simply be brilliant!
    Well now I'm just going to hope that somewhere, somehow, these stories will make their way to me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you like romantic steampunk, Delilah S. Dawson's Blud series has a carnival setting. Wicked As They Come is the first in the series and is set in a traveling caravan. There is also the short story collection Carniepunk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huge coincidence - I ordered the first Blud novel yesterday!! :D I read one of her stories in the Carniepunk anthology and was intrigued by the world ^^
      Haha you really guessed my taste!

      Delete
  3. I agree with you on more diversity, I'd like to read about LGBT or non-white main characters, possibly not in US. I have villain's POV on my list too, I really like those! I think you should read Stormdancer, I really loved it and it's one of my favorite books. I'm searching for more books like it, set in ancient China or Japan. I'm from Central Europe, too, and I'd like to read some Urban Fantasies set in these cities :) great list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something steampunky with magical libraries - okay, someone write this immediately please!!

    I'm also loving the idea of books from the villains' perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, I absolutely love The Coldest Girl in Coldtown, and I would love to find more vampire books like that one! (Wouldn't say no to a sequel either.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! I liked how it ended so openly - but I wouldn't mind a sequel either. Tana + Gavriel = <3

      Delete
  6. Nice list! And since you've asked for recs:
    circus: the Pantomime series by Laura Lam. I'm going to read that one soon. It sounds AMAZING, plus it's lgbt :)
    *kinda* villain (more like anti hero): Vicious and Boy Nobody
    great vampire novel: Sunshine by Robin McKinley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know Pantomime was lgbt! I've read some great reviews though and it's somewhere on my TBR.
      I really need to get Vicious!! It sounds like exactly my thing!

      Delete
  7. magical libraries made my list too!!!! And everyone is begging for more diversity, especially in main characters... there are so few, we need more. I totally get you you with the POV of Death and old Japan. I did read Stormdancer but it didn't have a real Japanese feel, except momentarily. Something like Memoirs of a Geisha but with magical touches?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The images of he Memoirs of a Geisha movie were exactly what I had in mind! But with magic - or mythology. Or ninjas. Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. Villain POV totally made my list this week too!!! I would love more books where we get to see that other side!!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you need to write a book! Lol. Have you seen the show Dead Like Me? I feel like you'd enjoy it. It matches the death viewpoint well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also thought that what I'm doing above is actually offering up plot bunnies for free :P I might write a few of them ^^
      I know Dead Like Me! My sister used to watch it and I've been meaning to sit down at some point and watch it all myself. Love the basic idea of it!

      Delete
  10. This a great list! I would love to read a book in the POV of the villain. That would be the best!! And yes to Circus/Carnivals :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the steampunk/library idea as well. Someone should definitely write that one up -- maybe you? I'd read it, for sure!

    Susan
    www.blogginboutbooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd love to see more diversity!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great list. I definitely think that we need much more diversity in YA A modern Picture of Dorian Gray sounds great too! Great picks :)

    ReplyDelete