Saturday, January 5, 2013

Stacking the Shelves: Fairies & Lucky Finds

Stacking the Shelves is a weekly meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews to show off the new books we got in the past week. This can be borrowed or bought, print or ebook, for review, gifted, won... just show your awesome new book friends :)

I had two hauls this past week, one was books I had ordered that finally arrived and one that was a stack I picked up at the second hand bookstore. Sorry for the not so good pics, my lamp started to smoke and stink after one pic and I had to shut it off and move to a different, not-so-great lamp...

Bought:
The Pledge, by Kimberly Derting
The Iron Knight, by Julie Kagawa
The Iron Legends, by Julie Kagawa

After reading The Iron Queen, I just had to have the rest of the series. I've also wanted to read The Pledge for a really long time now, and with The Essence coming out I was reminded of it. And since it's now out in paperback...


From the used book store:
Katzenwinter, by Wolfgang & Heike Hohlbein
Measure for Measure & All's Well That Ends Well, by William Shakespeare
Shades of Grey, by Jasper Fforde
The Devlin Diary, by Christi Phillips
Midnight's Children, by Salman Rushdie
If I Stay, by Gayle Forman

I read Katzenwinter about 10 years ago and it was one of my first fantasy books! I own more than twenty of Hohlbein's books and I've read even more that I borrowed from the library of the school I was going to at the time. I've been meaning to buy&re-read all his old novels from the 80s and 90s but in the same editions I read them way back when... which aren't easy to find anymore. So this was an awesome surprise and I just had to have it :D It's in good condition and was only 3.50 CHF (maybe like 4$. For new hardbacks you pay the equivalent of 30-40$ here).
The other books were about 2$ each. I've been curious about Midnight's Children for a while because I heard so much about it during my studies... and everyone seems to have read If I Stay!

Also, I got extremely lucky with the Shakespeare because look at this:
I don't know whether you can read it, but this was PRINTED IN 1904!!!!
And I paid not quite 2$ for it!!! It's old and worn and smells great :D The Spine is not readable anymore; I just saw this old book wedged between two random paperbacks and was curious about what it was.... and opened it to find this!! I mean it's more than 100 years old! I don't think it's a valuable edition or anything but I love it anyway because it's now the oldest book I own :)


What do you guys think of my haul? Do you love old books too, or do you think they... stink? What did you get this week?
Oh, and check out the giveaways in my left sidebar while you're here :) I changed the entry options for the I Am Alive giveaway so that you can now enter without commenting...

25 comments:

  1. Ooo I am jelly about the Shakespeare book and what an awesome price! Enjoy all your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an awesome collection of books! You did great, especially with Shakespeare addition.
    I only managed to add two books to my shelf this week.

    Marilyn @ Marilyn's Mystery Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I Stay is fantastic! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

    New email follower - Sugar & Snark

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I Stay is good! Oh, and congrats on the Shakespeare find. :) Happy reading.

    Stacking the Shelves #11

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have Pledge siting in my TBR watching me but not had a chance to read it yet. Enjoy all your books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice haul! I've only read the first book in the Iron Fey series.. I don't know what's stopped me from reading the rest... Enjoy!!

    My StS

    Happy Reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a treasure! And it's in great condition, obviously it was very pre-loved :)
    I read If I Stay and liked it, have to get Where She Went soon.
    Happy reading!
    Ivana @ Willing to See Less

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving this haul hun! I just got The Iron King myself this past week - can't wait to dive it to the series :D I've also heard great things about If I Stay...and that old Shakespeare book is INCREDIBLE ♥ It's in great condition and I love that it's so old! The illustrations sweetens the deal for me as well haha :)

    Congrats on all the sweet finds & happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for the Pledge and that lovely Iron Fey series :) Awesome haul of books! Enjoy your reads :)

    Janina
    My Haul!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice haul! The Iron Fey series.... I loved so much this series. I hope you enjoy it.:)

    Happy Reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a pretty awesome find there with the Shakespeare play!

    I want to read the Iron Fey books, but I always have a hard time getting into fey books. I don't know why. But I've heard wonderful things about it.

    Enjoy all your books! Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I still need to read The Iron Fey Series. Nice haul.

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read The Pledge but it's been on my TBR list forever!! I hope you enjoy all you got :)

    Here's my STS!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the Iron Fey Series. A LOT. I understand your need to go and get the next book in the series ASAP. :)

    YAY for such a fun find at the used bookstore! 1904 - SO COOL.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  15. you'll love The Iron Knight! it's the best one ;) I haven't read Iron Legends yet, still have to pick that up. And i love that cover of If I Stay! good book too :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I also got If I stay from a used book store! LOL. I wonder if that means something about the book? O.o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I hope it says more about a certain type of reader than about the book :P

      Delete
  17. Shakespeare published in 1904 - jealoussss. Not gonna lie.

    And dying to read that Iron Fey series. Need to get on that.

    Happy reading and awesome haul! :)

    Jennifer @ Dream Reads

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! It's amazing that you manage to find a Shakespeare book published in 1904- lucky you! Enjoy reading!


    In My Mailbox

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the Iron Fey series. I hope you enjoy your new books. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I LOVE old books...the musty smell, the pages you have to ever-so-carefully turn. And SHAKESPEARE on top of all that. Lucky girl! I see a visit to the used book store in my future. :) Hope you enjoy all your new reads!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Shopping at a bargain book store is like searching for treasure. You never know what you are going to find. That was an awesome find with Shakespeare. If I Stay is on my TBR list because I hear really good things about it.
    Nice haul and Happy reading!
    jenn @ blog about books

    ReplyDelete
  22. You got some great stuff there! I hope you enjoy it all, althought I keep hearing worse and worse things about Shades of Grey. I hope you're going to enjoy the Iron Fey books, though. Heard loads of good things and still haven't come around to read them. And The Pledge is still sitting unread on my shelf... I need to get to that this year.... My Haul

    ReplyDelete