Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Waiting on Wednesday: The Golden City, by J. Kathleen Cheney

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill at Breaking The Spine to spotlight upcoming book releases that we're excited about.



This week's pick:

Release date: November 5, 2013
Publisher: Roc Trade
Format: Paperback, 352 pages

Goodreads description:
For two years, Oriana Paredes has been a spy among the social elite of the Golden City, reporting back to her people, the sereia, sea folk banned from the city’s shores....

When her employer and only confidante decides to elope, Oriana agrees to accompany her to Paris. But before they can depart, the two women are abducted and left to drown. Trapped beneath the waves, Oriana’s heritage allows her to survive while she is forced to watch her only friend die.

Vowing vengeance, Oriana crosses paths with Duilio Ferreira—a police consultant who has been investigating the disappearance of a string of servants from the city’s wealthiest homes. Duilio also has a secret: He is a seer and his gifts have led him to Oriana.

Bound by their secrets, not trusting each other completely yet having no choice but to work together, Oriana and Duilio must expose a twisted plot of magic so dark that it could cause the very fabric of history to come undone...


This books sounds so unique and amazing! Spies, sea folk, uneasy allies, Paris... Ocotber can't come soon enough :)
What do you guys think of my pick? Have you heard of it or read any early reviews? And what book are you highlighting this week?

11 comments:

  1. Love books about spies! And then sea folk on top of that does sound unique.
    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this sounds goood and different! Great pick!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cover and the plot. Nice pick!

    follower

    http://itchingforbooks.blogspot.com/2013/05/waiting-on-wednesday-47.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woha where did you find this one? I haven't seen it before but sounds so amazing. I hope you'll get to read it soon. Great pick :)

    Tanja @ Ja Ĩitam, a ti?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't read much adult fiction but that summary has too much of what I love in it to pass it up. It is added to the TBR.

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous cover and Paris? I'm in!

    Thanks for stopping by my WoW! Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hadn't heard of this yet. Thanks for sharing, it does sound awesome! I always gravitate toward books that feature spies. Great pick!
    New follower via GFC. I'd love it if you'd follow back.
    Natflix&Books' WoW

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've not heard of this before, but the story and the cover looks amazing! :) Thanks for stopping by My WW!

    Janina

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haven't heard of this one! Will have to add to our TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the cover and the setting! And it sounds fantastic! Great pick, as per usual! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gah, how am I only seeing this now?! I was SO behind last week, I'm only beginning to catch up O.O Anyways, Sea Folk?! YES please, this sounds amazing Carmen!! I already want to learn more about these sea 'people' and what happened that they are banned from the City shore...eep! That cover is totally swoon worthy too ♥ Ahh visiting your WoW posts always lead to another gem added to my TBR pile haha! Thanks girl

    ReplyDelete